Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Icebreaker

Welcome to my blog! Namaste aur Swagat, as they would say where I come from.

Six years in graduate school at The Ohio State University (Go Bucks!), and over ten years since then teaching undergraduate and graduate students have been extremely enjoyable. I have a few stories ... and lots of opinions ... to share ... on a variety of issues including teaching, research, accreditation, academic freedom, the persistent pursuit of misery (proposal writing).

This is a forum for me to express my opinions. I might occasionally succumb to the temptation of presenting facts and data, provided they are supportive of my opinion. If they have the temerity to contradict my opinions they shall be banished to ... choose your favorite holiday destination ... Siberia, Cellular Jail in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands, or a super-fund site.

Through your comments, you, the gentle reader, will have the opportunity to be as opinionated as I am, if not more. Remember, we are in Cyber-Texas here. So, if you are a quick draw with your opinions you will get a lot of admiration from me ... not that you should seek my admiration ... that would be very unhealthy.

My graduate students might wonder why I would waste my time on this rather than read the latest draft they gave me. My department chair and Dean might wonder why I am not putting my time to better use by increasing my publication count and federal funding. But, a man's got to HYPER-VENTILATE once in a while.

So, stay tuned for future posts.

P.S. Every now and then you will encounter words or phrases that are italicized. If you are not from India and have no idea what they mean, remember Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

2 comments:

sdaas said...

All right! Welcome to the blogosphere.Although you could have saved me some download time by shortening the title to just "Opinionated ..." :-).

Sonal said...

Does this mean your opinions will be restricted to education? Nothing about the Republicans, Dallas Cowboys, Shahrukh Khan and/or Karan Johar...I don't buy that.